|Social Media Data Analyst|
Company: Campus Sonar
Location: Madison, WI
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 02/26/2021
Expire Date: 04/26/2021
Job Categories: Research & Development
Social Media Data Analyst|
Applications are due April 2, 2021. Cover letters are strongly recommended. Apply on Campus Sonar's parent company website at ascendiumeducation.org/careers. Contact the hiring manager (email@example.com) with questions.
The Social Media Data Analyst powers Campus Sonarís research program by performing data collection via social listening, qualitative and quantitative analysis, data visualization, and reporting. While prior experience in qualitative research or social listening is preferred, weíll teach you how to do social listening if you bring your data analysis, curiosity, and strong communication and collaboration skills!
Join Campus Sonar and help drive data-informed strategies for our higher ed clients. You will deliver analysis and insights around online engagement opportunities, brand perception, audiences, and crises in partnership with the Client Success team, helping our clients spur strategic change in an evolving and competitive industry.
Campus Sonarís HQ is in Madison, WI and remote employees outside of Madison will be considered. Regardless of applicant location, this is a work-from-home position through 2021 (at least) due to COVID-19. Corporate travel is currently suspended.
Analysts use Slack, the Google Suite, Brandwatch Consumer Research and Audiences.
The salary range starts at $65,000. As an affiliate of Ascendium, read about the benefits offered to Campus Sonar employees here: ascendiumeducation.org/benefits.
--> Essential Functions
Social Listening Research
- Work with account managers (Strategists) to deeply understand client research needs and goals
- Write logical, clean, and non-redundant social listening queries using Boolean operators and identify search terms that will deliver online conversation data aligned with client research needs and goals
- Adjust and optimize social listening queries to account for new search terms and exclude irrelevant conversation as appropriate
- Validate online conversation data collected to ensure reasonably accurate samples for analysis
- Write rules using Boolean operators and identify search terms to segment and categorize the online conversation data appropriately for analysis
- Establish query alerts or signals in line with client goals for customer service and reputation monitoring purposes
- Develop and use best practices to create query and rule templates for common social listening objectives
Data Analysis and Visualization
- Apply the Observation to Insight method as part of the analysis process, making observations about data collected related to client goals and appropriately adding context around the observation to form insights
- Contextualize data observations by selecting and applying appropriate analysis tactics from historical (change over time, benchmarking, projecting) to comparison (peer or industry) to frequency/volume to segment, etc.
- Use social listening software to create interactive, client-facing dashboards with a focus on speed to insight and data accessibility
- Concept and implement appropriate ways to visualize data in online dashboards and suggest visualization options for written materials
- Work with the Strategist to identify and answer additional questions about the sample or analysis to inform their actionable recommendations for clients
- Continually push the boundaries of data analysis techniques as social data and software evolves.
- Participate in the development of templates and work guides for common analysis tasks.
Strategic Reporting and Communications
- Write a variety of professional content, from regular client reports to business analysis summaries to quarterly role-related marketing content
- Communicate and adjust tone and writing style as appropriate with a variety of stakeholders such as peers, colleagues, leadership, and clients
- Identify content goals and audience for each type of communication and content and write accordingly
- Convey highly-technical and complex information in an easy-to-understand way that engages the intended audience and meets business needs
- Add appropriate narrative and context to insights and the data collection and analysis process in content
- Communicate within the Campus Sonar brand
- Create, manage, and execute/meet timelines for client research projects aligned with research briefs; account for dependencies in research tactics, workload, and client deadlines
- Manage internal stakeholder communications for your projects and assignments, keeping the Research Manager, Strategist, and others as appropriate up to date on status, challenges, and opportunities related to your work
- Identify decision points and escalate them as appropriate
- Manage and prioritize multiple assignments at the same time and ensure quality work is completed on time
- Contribute to knowledge sharing and problem solving around social listening research tactics, data analysis and visualization, and reporting
- Participate in daily standups to share current work goals and challenges as well as provide and accept feedback and ideas from peers
- Contribute, discuss, and implement ideas for process improvement, innovation, and efficiency in areas related to your role
- Participate in the peer review process
- Work closely with designers to execute research concepts visually and within our brand identity for written materials
- Work closely with marketing experts on quarterly Analyst thought leadership content
- Work closely with business development (Account Executives) as requested to deliver free social listening snapshots to support business development
- Work closely with Strategists to support client goals through regular social listening, research, and reporting activities
Internet and Software Navigation
- Train on and use enterprise-level social listening software
- Use working knowledge (through either personal or professional use) of social media channels (i.e., Twitter, Instagram, Reddit, etc.)
- Use Microsoft Office or a similar product suite efficiently, specifically Microsoft Excel and Word, to manage and analyze large sets of data as well as write, edit, and provide feedback on content
- Exhibit progressively increasing strategic understanding of social listening and social data analysis best practices, the needs of the higher education community and other related audiences, and Campus Sonar products and services
- Take advantage of training and development opportunities to further hone analytical and communication skills and team processes
- Attend industry conferences, up to 5% travel
- Develop strong partnerships with Campus Sonar team members
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Adjust to rapidly shifting priorities and business needs, evolving standards, and a constantly changing industry
- Meet expectations for the Analyst role and display willingness to take on additional finite projects or assignments as part of a small team, ranging from training to operational to marketing to administrative to business development as based on business need, development interest, and strengths
- As assigned by a Strategist, consult with clients regarding online conversation data and analysis
- Support business needs (business development and/or marketing) through social listening monitoring and analysis as assigned
- Provide feedback to leadership to guide new product development
- As assigned, assist the Research Manager with a variety of tasks, including project management, assigning work, forecasting workload, establishing priorities and timelines, reviewing and publishing deliverables, and reporting
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelorís degree, preferably in a social science, research, or business field, including linguistics, statistics, computer science, economics, math, statistics, engineering, business analytics, marketing, psychology, philosophy, library science, pre-law, or anthropology.
- One or more years of professional experience, or other equivalent work experience (e.g., classroom, internship, or volunteering), working in an education, business, or agency environment on analysis projects.
- Experience with social data and social listening software such as Brandwatch, Meltwater, Sysomos, Radian6, Synthesio, or Crimson Hexagon is preferred, but not required.
- Experience collecting and/or analyzing business data, writing and editing reports, and generating insights that inform business strategy or tactics.
- Experience managing multiple projects and assignments as well as assessing or clarifying project goals, scope, timeline. Demonstrated knowledge defining project communications/meetings, using resources efficiently, and identifying challenges, risks, and opportunities to deliver quality work aligned with goals.
- Highly skilled in Microsoft Word and Excel (or other comparable products) to create professional content and provide robust data analysis efficiently.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- Collaborative attitude and focus on sharing knowledge with team members, including challenges, tips and tricks, strategies, and problem solving.
- Highly communicative with team and supervisor about the status of assignments, including changes, challenges, and opportunities. Takes initiative to not only identify assignment and status, but also explore and propose alternative solutions when appropriate.
- Exceptional ability to identify the needs of different stakeholders and adjust communication style, tone, and language accordingly and effectively.
- Demonstrated ability to fail, learn from and admit mistakes, and determine and implement different approaches for success.
- Self-starter who takes initiative to learn, leveraging current resources as well as identifying new ones in order to be more efficient, deliver better results, problem solve, and optimize opportunity.
- Demonstrated ability to have transparent and professional conversations with team members and provide and accept constructive feedback with respect.
- Ability to understand and analyze complex regulatory and business issues, specifically in higher education.
Contact Name: Amber Sandall
Company Name: Campus Sonar
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Campus Sonar is a specialized social listening agency that empowers colleges and universities to find and analyze conversations that matter, seize engagement opportunities, and develop data-informed strategies. We draw on thought leadership, higher education expertise, and modern technologies to provide actionable insights and ignite campus strategy.