|History and Social Sciences Teacher|
Company: Windward School
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 01/21/2021
Expire Date: 03/21/2021
Job Categories: Education
History and Social Sciences Teacher|
Windward School, a grade 7-12 college-preparatory, independent day school in vibrant West Los Angeles, seeks an experienced educator to join our History Department. Windward faculty and administrative leaders continually seek best practices and educational partnerships to help our students and faculty pursue their passions, engage in cutting edge work, and lead meaningful lives.
Windward’s mission, as a college-preparatory school, is to challenge each student to achieve academic excellence in a nurturing environment. Windward teachers, parents, and administrators work as a team to encourage each student to be responsible, caring, well, informed, ethical and prepared, thus promoting the fullest development of the individual.
The History and Social Sciences Department is looking for an experienced, innovative teacher to join our collaborative team. The successful candidate will embrace collaborative curriculum design and working closely as part of a teaching team to create and continuously refine curriculum. Ideally, applicants will be experienced practitioners of backward design based on clearly defined curricular understandings and have experience developing curriculum variations to challenge all learners.
In the History and Social Sciences Department, students and teachers work together to develop understandings of the past that allow us to critically analyze the present as well as seek to understand the past on its own terms. We use historical thinking to appreciate, analyze and interrogate sources and build historical arguments, using content as a vehicle for thinking not simply as an end in itself.
Teaching responsibilities will include five sections with at least two preparations. Instructors should be able and willing to teach grades 7-12. We seek a department member with experience teaching both majority world (non-western) and western history; experience teaching historical thinking skills as well as analytical, argument-driven writing also is required. Content expertise that would complement the existing strengths of department faculty is a plus.
Summary of Major Responsibilities
● Teach five sections of History across middle and upper school, including thematically driven courses such as the 9th grade Habits of Historical Thinking course
● Design and coordinate curriculum with other members of the department and within teaching teams for each assigned course and liaise with other departments and centers to build cross disciplinary experiences
● Monitor and evaluate students’ progress and communicate with parents and Division teams regarding student progress
● Exhibit knowledge of current trends, pedagogy, research, and topics of importance in history pedagogy by applying it in the classroom and sharing it with teachers on a departmental and school-wide basis
● Participate in regular, purposeful pedagogy meetings and professional development sessions
● Participate actively in the life of the school through attendance at events, committee membership, and leadership of extracurricular activities
● Perform other duties within the scope, spirit, and purpose of the job, as requested by the divisional directors
This is a great chance to be part of a dynamic, close-knit, independent school culture and community.
We offer competitive compensation and benefits, including:
● Medical, dental, vision insurance
● Paid Holidays, Vacation and Wellness days
● Retirement Plan, including up to 6% employer match
● School-paid Life and Disability Insurance
● Flexible Spending Account Plans
● Annual $2,000 FlexCheck
● Annual $2,000 Lunch Allowance
● Access to Peak Performance Center to promote physical and mental health
● Wellness Initiatives
● Employee Assistance Program
● Tuition Remission
● Nurturing, supportive and inclusive community
● And much more!
For more information about Windward School, see our website: www.windwardschool.org.
If you are interested in applying for the position, please click Apply to submit your resume, three letters of recommendation and a letter of interest. The letter of interest should detail the applicant’s specific alignment with this position and with the broader scope of the Department as well as interest in Windward School.
● A bachelor’s degree in History or a closely related field, advanced degree preferred
● A minimum of three years of full-time experience teaching History, six or more years preferred
● A demonstrable passion for historical thinking and working with young people
● Evidence of significant recent professional development
● Excellent technology skills and experience integrating technology into the curriculum
● Experience in a school with a similar philosophy, teaching methods, and curricula to those of Windward; knowledge and understanding of independent school communities preferred
● Willingness to contribute to school life outside of the classroom
● A proven commitment to the safeguarding and welfare of children and young people
Company Name: Windward School
Windward School is a co-educational, independent, college-preparatory day school enrolling students in grades 7-12. Located in West Los Angeles, Windward draws its student body from the diverse population of Los Angeles. Windward’s mission, as a college-preparatory school, is to challenge each student to achieve academic excellence in a nurturing environment. Windward teachers, parents, and administrators work as a team to encourage each student to be responsible, caring, well, informed, ethical and prepared, thus promoting the fullest development of the individual.