Design & Communications Coordinator
Start Date: Immediate
Team: Marketing & Communications
Location: Brooklyn, NY or New Haven, CT
About Achievement First:
Achievement First, a non-profit 501(c)3 charter school management organization, operates 36 public charter schools in Brooklyn, Connecticut, and Rhode Island. The mission of Achievement First is to deliver on the promise of equal educational opportunity for all of America’s children. We know that every child—regardless of race, zip code, or economic status—deserves access to great schools. Achievement First currently educates more than 13,300 students in historically underserved neighborhoods, with over 90% of our students identifying as Black or Latinx. For more information about the Achievement First mission, model, our schools and team, please visit our website at www.achievementfirst.org.
Achievement First seeks a Design & Communications Coordinator who will support the Marketing & Communications team’s graphic design and communications initiatives. This a great opportunity to gain experience in graphic design and communications work. The right candidate is a self-starter who is eager to learn as a member of a dynamic and fast-moving team.
Responsibilities of the Design & Communications Coordinator will include, but are not limited to:
• Design Support:
o Create and maintain general purpose templates for various external audiences (InDesign; Microsoft Publisher)
o Maintain our signage catalog, school brand graphics (logo and mascot files), and overall Network brand identity assets
o Assist in the creation of all designed materials, including applying design to various versions of marketing collateral
o Create, maintain, and tag photography and video asset archives
o Conduct press checks for marketing materials, and work with vendors to ensure highest quality printing
• Communications and General Support:
o Implement copy edits for all marketing materials (InCopy)
o Support Achievement First teams with communication needs, including writing copy for various audiences (ex: donors, external friends, and partner organizations)
o Catalog and audit team internal and external marketing campaigns
o Provide overall administrative support
Skills and Characteristics:
• Outstanding oral and written communication skills
• Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator) and Microsoft Office (especially Word, PowerPoint, and Publisher)
• Excellent organizational and coordination skills; able to manage multiple projects at the same time
• Deadline-oriented and comfortable operating with a sense of urgency while also maintaining an eye for detail and quality
• Creative and committed to problem-solving
• Adaptable and flexible in responding to fast-breaking news and day-to-day changes in priorities
• Ability to work effectively both independently and as a member of a team
• Highly motivated and self-directed, with a strong worth ethic
Fluency in Spanish and photography skills are a plus.
Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. Additionally, Achievement First offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Send resume and cover letter to:
Associate Director, Team Marketing and Communications
Achievement First is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Spanish language proficiency is a plus. You can learn more about diversity at Achievement First here: http://www.achievementfirst.org/about-us/diversity/.
Qualifications & Requirements Educational Background and Work Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent work experience)
• One to three years of work experience