Job Title: Associate Director of Strategic Network Support Initiatives, Team Chief of Staff & Team Talent Operations
Brooklyn, NY United States
Education and Library
Associate Director of Strategic Network Support Initiatives, Team Chief of Staff & Team Talent Operations
Start Date: Immediate
Team: Team Chief of Staff / Team Talent Operations
Location: Brooklyn, NY (preferred) or New Haven, CT
About Achievement First:
Achievement First, a non-profit 501(c)3 charter school management organization, operates over 30 public charter schools in Brooklyn, Connecticut and Rhode Island. The mission of Achievement First is to deliver on the promise of equal educational opportunity for all children, regardless of race or economic status. Achievement First currently educates more than 12,600 students in historically underserved neighborhoods, with over 90% of our students identifying as Black and Latino. With its college-preparatory focus, the Achievement First approach is attaining breakthrough academic gains throughout the network. Beyond our students and schools, Achievement First is an engaged and prominent partner in the larger conversation about how to improve public education and student achievement in our country.
Achievement First’s approach to teaching and learning enables every student to succeed at the highest levels. This involves:
• Recruiting and developing successful teachers and school leaders and empowering them to use student data to strategically drive instruction;
• Creating a joyful school culture where it is “cool to be smart” that emphasizes character education and focuses students on college;
• Providing students with more time on task and intense intervention when they are struggling so that no child falls through the cracks.
For more information about Achievement First’s mission, approach, schools and team, please visit our website at www.achievementfirst.org.
Achievement First exists to close the achievement gap and address inequity facing the communities that we are honored to serve. We have a two-pronged approach: people and program. In terms of program, we know that our curriculum, assessments, and school design are key to our success. But they are not enough – and they will not have impact without the right highly talented teams in place to execute, innovate, and make our network a place of excellence. Therefore, our ability to attract and keep the right (extremely talented) people is equally mission critical. While our school leaders work to create school environments that allow our teachers and deans to meet their full potential, we must also build network-wide structures, policy, strategy, and ethos that drives culture across AF.
The mission of Achievement First’s Chief of Staff team is to ensure that Network Support teams are the “wind in the sails” for our schools. The team is holistically responsible for the effective operations of Network Support. Team Chief of Staff drives all of the talent, culture and planning work that sets up Network Support teams and staff to be high-performing. Key functions of Team Chief of Staff include: ensure great service and support delivery and communication between Network Support and our schools, own and drive the vision for strong knowledge management practices across Network Support, lead core operational processes to ensure alignment with strategic priorities, ensure strong organizational culture (aligned to our core values) and strong inter- and intra-team functioning at Network Support and ensure high quality talent management practices across Network Support.
Achievement First’s Talent Operations team ensures strong talent practices are effectively and consistently implemented across the AF network as the organization adapts to scale. The team also seeks to create a world-class employee experience such that all employees feel valued and want to stay at AF to relentlessly support student success. The team accomplishes this by:
● Overseeing comprehensive performance evaluation systems
● Offering competitive total rewards package
● Fueling people leadership practices with strong talent data, clear guidance and efficient processes
● Creating avenues for employee input and feedback through various talent management surveys
A strong Director of Strategic Network Support Initiatives, you will be part of two teams – the Chief of Staff team and the Talent Operations team as the workstreams supporting NS staff will overlap between the two teams. This Director will become an integral part of the Network Support community and will move the organization forward in retaining top diverse talent and best-in-class support for our schools.
Responsibilities of the Director of Strategic Network Support Initiatives will include but are not limited to:
● Support in the implementation of the Network Support strategic planning (a.k.a. First Class Plans or FCPs) and goal setting process to ensure alignment across the network and to help meet Achievement First’s five-year plan.
● Provide support to Network Support team leads on drafting the FCP and incorporating feedback from co-CEOs to ensure high quality plans that will drive monthly team goals and individual goals for teammates.
Organizational Culture & DEI Focus
● Partner with Chief of Staff to develop and execute DEI strategy for Network Support
● Drive implementation of new core values at Network Support
● Partner with Talent Operations team members to administer the Organizational Health survey and ensure a high participation rate.
● Manage a consultant to execute on the annual Network Support survey process
● Publish the weekly Network Support memo in partnership with Chief of Staff to ensure it is aligned with overall network-wide communication strategy.
● Own the office community building at Brooklyn and New Haven Network Support offices.
● Streamline and revamp Network Support hiring resources for team leads with a goal of hiring a diverse, high caliber talent into Network Support teams.
● Collaborate with Chief of Staff to execute on updating and implementing Achievement First’s cultural onboarding resources for Network Support new hires to ensure they are clear on core values, norms, and expectations.
● Partner with Talent Ops team members in the design and execution of Network Support performance management structures and processes, including ensuring fair and equitable promotion and compensation practices.
● Lead the charge in onboarding and offboarding process automation; Execute on onboarding and offboarding action steps and documentation for all Network Support staff.
● Maintain all Network Support staff personnel files to ensure that they are ‘audit ready’.
● Coordinate with Payroll team to ensure all Network Support staffs’ pay and benefits deductions are accurate during each payroll cycle.
Network Support Staff Engagement & Support
● Own the planning and coordination efforts for all Chief of Staff team-led events and providing logistical support on all-hands-on-deck events for Talent Operations team (e.g., Stage Advancement recognition dinners, teacher input gathering events, etc.), leveraging direct reports to do so.
● Support with rallying Network Support teammates for direct school support (e.g., tutoring, advocacy, canvassing, school start-up, chaperoning trips, and other as-needed opportunities).
● Ensure Achievement First’s Many Minds serves as a key knowledge management tool for Network Support teams by designing and implementing the systems, structures and training to ensure teams are carrying out the Vision of Excellence for Knowledge Management.
● Manage a part-time office coordinator at the Brooklyn office and management of coordinator-like duties at the New Haven office.
● Design and implement a strong Vision of Excellence for office management duties and norms.
● Own special projects as they arise to support the two teams and their strategic priorities.
Skills and Characteristics
● Prior experience that demonstrates strong alignment to Achievement First’s mission and values
● Systematic thinker who has experience leading and coordinating teams effectively
● Strong strategic thinker who can skillfully assess what’s wrong/broken, prioritize, find the most simple and effective solution, and execute – all while never losing sight of the long-term vision
● An uncommon eye for detail and an extraordinarily high, internal bar of excellence
● Strong social intelligence and the ability to engage a variety of stakeholders toward a common outcome
● Possess humility, a strong work ethic, sense of humor, and “roll-up-my-sleeves” attitude. Extreme team player.
● Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment; flexible and able to work autonomously, while taking direction and guidance as needed
● Communication and critical problem solving: able to explain complex processes at both detailed and high levels, in writing and in conversation
● Intermediate experience with Excel and PPT
● Experience with Sharepoint a plus
Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. Additionally, Achievement First offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Apply by filling out an application at https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/530c3adb333e48ddb5874b550c1bef89
Achievement First is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Spanish language proficiency is a plus. You can learn more about diversity at Achievement First here: http://www.achievementfirst.org/about-us/diversity/.
Qualifications & Requirements Educational Background and Work Experience
● Bachelor’s degree required; Advanced degree a plus
● 4-7 years of work experience
● Prior management of interns or part-time employees is preferred
● Willingness to travel to our schools and offices throughout Connecticut, Rhode Island, and New York as needed is required