Human Resources Coordinator
JOB TITLE: Human Resources Coordinator
LOCATION: Denver, CO
SALARY: $3,634+/month depending on experience
The National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL) is a bipartisan organization that serves the legislators and legislative staff of the nation's 50 states, its commonwealths and territories. NCSL provides research, technical assistance and opportunities for policymakers to exchange ideas on the most pressing state issues. Our mission is to serve state legislatures and other intergovernmental groups by providing support, promoting fresh ideas, connecting legislators and staff with experts and each other, and provide a strong, cohesive voice in the federal system. Since its founding in 1975, NCSL's staff has grown from 15 employees to over 150 employees in its offices in Denver, CO and Washington, D.C.
NCSL is seeking an HR Coordinator to assist with the day-to-day operations of the HR department and perform a variety HR and payroll related duties on a professional level. The HR Coordinator will work in a fast-paced, team environment, under tight deadlines, with confidentiality and discretion to be maintained at all times. The incumbent will provide high-level administrative support and enhance the effectiveness of the Director of HR, with specific responsibility for complex functions such as payroll/benefits administration, on/off-boarding, record maintenance, HRIS management, assisting with key projects, preparing correspondence, and employment law compliance for both the Denver, CO and Washington, DC offices.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
1. Performs data entry of payroll information including employee lifecycle changes, tax withholdings, garnishments, timesheet entries, vacation/sick leave usage and benefits deductions. Partners closely with accounting to maintain the HRIS database for timely semi-monthly payroll processing.
2. Reconciles monthly benefits statements and verifies calculations are correct. Communicates issues and resolves discrepancies with carrier representatives.
3. Processes new benefit enrollments, terminations, and qualifying events with all carriers ensuring paperwork is completed accurately by employees and proper documentation is provided.
4. Provides daily back up support to Receptionist for breaks, lunch coverage and time off. May work with Receptionist on projects as needed.
5. Assists with on-boarding and off-boarding activities such as orientation, new hire reporting, E-verify, COBRA, prepares new hire packets, enters information in HRIS, benefits portals and other applicable systems.
6. Supports a positive employee environment by implementing programs to help improve the employee experience and engagement. Takes lead on employee appreciation efforts and manages employee events.
7. Researches and compiles data and statistical information necessary to carry out the functions of the department and organization. Prepares reports for internal analysis and government reporting such as EEO, ACA, AAP, etc.
8. Maintains personnel files, employee-related databases / spreadsheets and HR intranet page. Ensures confidentiality of employee information and data at all times.
9. Communicates with employees and managers in a timely and conscientious manner regarding HR related inquires while providing exceptional customer service.
10. Responds to requests for employment verification and unemployment claims.
11. Completes special projects setting timetables, determining priorities, managing time, developing and organizing information, monitoring progress and adjusting tasks for project completion.
12. Assists with employee communication and feedback through such avenues as all-staff meetings, employee committees, satisfaction surveys and focus groups.
13. Participates in developing department goals, objectives, processes, and systems to help align the workforce with the strategic goals of the organization.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities but does serve as a coach and mentor for other positions in the department.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as laptop computers, copy machines, scanners and smartphones.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
This is largely a sedentary position that requires the ability to speak, hear, see, lift small objects up to 50 lbs., open filing cabinets and bend, stoop, or stand on a stool as necessary. Requires the ability to travel locally, regionally and nationally, including overnight and weekends.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Qualifications & Requirements QUALIFICATIONS:
Experience and Education
• High school diploma (or its equivalent) plus seven (7) years of progressively more complex administrative and/or HR experience or a bachelor’s degree plus three (3) years of administrative and/or HR work experience.
• Preferred qualifications:
o Bachelor’s degree in HR, business, or related field;
o Payroll and data processing experience;
o Relevant and progressive work experience in HR;
o PHR, SPHR or equivalent certification.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Ability to be exceptionally detail oriented and work with constant interruptions.
• Effective problem-solving and critical thinking skills to provide creative solutions.
• Ability to analyze data, run reports, and provide requested information.
• Excellent computer skills, familiarity with MS Office suite and demonstrated skills in database management and record keeping.
• Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing throughout all levels of organization, both internally and externally.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and customer-focused attitude, with high level of professionalism, discretion and ability to maintain composure.
• Capability to manage multiple priorities, strong organization and time management skills.
• Results driven team player with consistent follow up skills.
• Maintain accountability when completing administrative work in support of the department's core functions.
NCSL offers an outstanding benefits package including low cost health, dental and vision coverage, a 401(a)-retirement plan with 10% contribution after 6 months and full vesting, life & disability insurance, 3-weeks paid vacation with 5+ years of paid full-time work experience, paid leave, 35-hour work weeks, telework, pet insurance, discounted bus / train passes, in-office dry cleaning pick up, access to 24-hour fitness memberships, and more!
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume highlighting skills and qualifications to: https://ncsl.applicantpro.com/jobs no later than February 22, 2019.
The National Conference of State Legislatures is a bipartisan organization that serves the legislators and legislative staff of the nation's 50 states, its commonwealths and territories. NCSL provides research, technical assistance and opportunities for policymakers to exchange ideas on the most pressing state issues. Our mission is to serve state legislatures by providing support, promoting fresh ideas, connecting legislators and staff with experts and each other, and provide a strong, cohesive voice in the federal system.
Since its founding in 1975, NCSL's staff has grown from 15 employees to over 150 employees in its offices in Denver, CO and Washington, D.C. Our growth has been due to the increasing activity and responsibility of the nation's state legislatures and the complexity and diversity of issues that legislators face. Employees work in a challenging, often fast-paced environment where they assist legislators and legislative staff in their work to promote the common good of the citizens of the states.