Home > HBCU Profiles > Selma University
Selma University
1501 Lapsley Street
Selma, Alabama 36701
(334) 872-2533 x18
Contact: Rev. Wright
http://selmauniversity.edu
Scholarships
Institutional Scholarships, Association Scholarships,Church Scholarships
Johnson, Eunice Walker Endowed Scholarship
Oracle/UNCF Corporate Scholars Program 2010
Dallas Independent School District Scholarship
Post New Scholarship
College Logo
Campus Queens
Student Members
Alumni Members
Sports Headlines
Interview With Selma University Baseball Coach
Candidate profiles for todays city election
District 4 challengers say distressed community in need
Sports briefs: Fred Holton fires 61, leads tournament in Troy by 4 shots
SUNO's Lady Knights break school record in win over Concordia-Selma
Post Sports News
College Overview  
     Located in Selma, Alabama, the campus is within walking distance of the nearby shopping center and only 45 miles west of Montgomery, the state capital. In 1965, the famous march for civil rights for blacks on the Pettus Bridge, led by Martin Luther King Jr., originated in the Brown Chapel Church in Selma, Alabama. elma University 's mission is to prepare men and women for Christian ministry and Christian living in the modern world based on the example of Jesus Christ. As a Christian Bible college, Selma University seeks to stimulate its students spiritually, intellectually and socially and to produce graduates who are servant leaders in their churches, communities and chosen areas of vocation.

Online Admissions Application: http://selmauniversity.org/admissions.htm
Quick Facts
Undergrad Population: 127
Graduate Population: 28
Student Body: Coed
In State Tuition: $5375
Out of State Tuition: $3130
Room & Board: $4600
Applications Due: Rolling Admissions ($20)
Conference:
Mascot:
Accreditations: ABHE, SACS,
Online Classes: no
Percent Men: 91%
Percent Women: 9%
Selma University Related Video
Selma University- Bubba Robinson... see more videos
Upcoming Events at Selma University
The Wall
Future spot for testimonials, comments, pictures, video
Majors Offered

Associate of Arts
•Bible and Theology

Bachelor of Arts
•General Studies
•General Studies (Business Administration Concentration)
•General Studies (Biology and Physical Education Concentration)
•General Studies (Bible, Theology and Christian Education Concentration)
•General Studies (Bible and Pastoral Ministry Concentration)

Master of Arts
•Bible and Pastoral Ministry
•Bible and Christian Education

Unique Programs
Sports & Extra Curricular Activities
Choral Groups, Fraternities, Sororities
College History
     Selma University was founded in 1878, with such noted men as the Reverends William H. McAlpine, James A. Foster and R. Murrell leading the effort. The purpose was for preparation of better leaders for the church and schoolroom. At a meeting in Mobile , Alabama in 1874, the first trustees were elected - they were C. O. Booth, Alexander Butler, William H. McAlpine, Holland Thompson and H. J. Europe. The school opened four years later in 1878, in the Saint Phillips Street Baptist Church of Selma. The Saint Phillip Street Baptist Church later became the First Baptist Church . The Convention voted to locate the school in Selma in 1877.
     In 1881, the school was incorporated by an act of the legislature under the name of Alabama Baptist Normal and Theological School of Selma. On May 14, 1908 , the name was officially changed to Selma University . The Women's Baptist State Convention was organized in 1886 and built a girls' dormitory in 1889. This dormitory was named Stone Hall in honor of Miss Susie Stone.  The Dinkins Memorial Chapel was completed in 1904. It was named in honor of Reverend C. S. Dinkins, one of the presidents of the school. This building was rebuilt in 1921 after having been destroyed by fire. It was renovated in 1980.
     Foster Hall was built in 1910, and named in honor of Miss Susie C. Foster, president of the Women's Convention at the time of its construction. Cleveland Hall was built in 1948 and was named in honor of M. C. Cleveland, Sr. The building contained materials that were taken from the Vickers Home and the Old Arcade Hotel in Selma . Gibbs Dining Hall was constructed in 1953 and named after Mrs. Henrietta M. Gibbs. The Stone-Robinson Library was erected in 1960 and named for Miss Susie Stone, Secretary of the Women's Convention and Reverend U. J. Robinson, President of the Alabama State Missionary Baptist Convention.
     The Jemison-Owens Auditorium/Gymnasium was completed in 1966. This building was named in honor of Reverend D. V. Jemison, who was President of the Convention, and Dr. James H. Owens, President of the school at the time of its construction.
     The Hood-Ware Dormitory for men and the Jackson-Wilson Dormitory for women were completed in 1970. The A.W. Wilson Science and Computer Hall was completed in 1979.
     In 1988, the science complex was expanded with the addition of an annex that houses an auditorium, several instructional laboratories, and two computer facilities, with offices for faculty. The computer-equipped writing laboratory in Dinkins Hall, the mathematics laboratory in the Science addition, (completed in 1989) and the expanded library facility which houses a center for audiovisual instruction and computer-aided self-study (completed in 1990) are the most recent improvement on campus. In the late eighties, Selma University developed from a four-year bachelor program in Religion and two year liberal arts program to a four-year institution. In the Fall of 2000, Selma University began its transformation from a Christian liberal arts college to a Bible college. In February 2001, Selma University received applicant status and in February 2005 the school received candidate status with the Commission on Accreditation of the Association for Biblical Higher Education in Orlando , Florida .
More Campus Photos
Sponsored Content Create an Ad
Follow Us!
Link To Us!
Do you have a website? Link to HBCU Connect!